This week we’re profiling the PhysEd program at Connect, and interviewed the teaching team of Evan Ferguson, John Cadman, David Cloutier, and Terran Fong.
What new PhysEd/DPA (daily physical activity) equipment is in the school this year?
- We have just completed units on disc golf and Spikeball
- Recently the school purchased 4 new table tennis tables
- The PE team purchased 3 portable disc golf targets as part of a 9 hole course
What activities are you doing that are new/different?
- All of our activities have changed somewhat in response to Covid-19. An example of this would be any tag games now use pool noodles to promote extra distancing.
- LOTS of outside experiences – this gave students a break from masks, too, as long as distancing was maintained
- All PE classes took place outside up until Remembrance Day
- Camp field experiences have also changed. This year we helped to organize 6 weeks of activities at Camp Riveredge. Students in grades 4-5 were dropped off at camp, and students in grades 6-9 biked to and from Riveredge to Connect. At camp students participated in activities such as: a low ropes course, archery, a challenge course, art and the animal game.
How are you managing Covid precautions and student/staff safety?
- Equipment is sanitized between classes
- Students are continually reminded to practice proper hand hygiene and to not touch their face during activities
- The PE team has purchased two backpack sprayers to easily and quickly sanitize equipment between use
- PE classes are separated into their homeroom cohorts of maximum 26 when inside classes take place. Masks are worn at all times when inside.