Good afternoon Connect parents:
Thank you for your attention to these updates from our school, while Alberta Health Services and the Government of Canada develop protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have not already done so, please review yesterday’s update (https://www.connectcharter.ca/2020/03/12/march-12-update/). Through an abundance of caution, we took the following measures at school today:
- To limit student movement and contact within the school, students stayed in homeroom classrooms for core classes, while teachers travelled between classrooms. After gym class, students were required to wash their hands.
- Clubs and electives were cancelled today, and students remained in classrooms. Lunch recess was indoors due to the cold temperatures, and students remained in classrooms, supervised by teachers.
- A reminder to parents that children who are ill must stay home. Any student who is ill and comes to school, will be sent home. Review this link for further information: https://www.connectcharter.ca/2020/03/12/covid-19-information-for-parents/
As mentioned in the March 12 update, our staff is in the process of developing academic continuity planning for learning by students, in the remote possibility of potential school closures. With our one-to-one technology program, our school has the resources to manage short-term, distance learning. In the unlikely event there is a school closure due to COVID-19, we will communicate specific directions to parents and students. Please be assured that these remote learning options will be designed by teaching teams to facilitate student engagement and connection and will be learner-appropriate, in manageable time segments. Student participation in any online learning will be optional based on each family’s situation. Please note the following:
- There was a test of the remote learning system today.
- Beginning today, students will be sent home daily with their devices.
- We will be breaking from normal practice over spring break and allowing students to take devices home to facilitate Student Led Conference participation [detailed information on SLC procedures will be shared next week.] Students will be remotely locked out of their devices at 1 PM on Friday, March 20, and devices will only be unlocked for student use on or after April 6, in the event a school closure is directed by AHS. If your child is currently absent from school, or will be next week, please contact the homeroom teacher to make arrangements to pick up your child’s device.
- We understand that not all of our families have access to the internet at home. I ask that any families who have internet connectivity issues contact me in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also note that Alberta Health Services has a public health protocol in place to deal with cases of COVID-19. Throughout the province, any contact about infections and close contact procedures will be communicated by AHS public health officials and not by individual workplaces or schools.
If you still have spring break travel plans, please visit the Government of Canada website for new recommendations about travel and post-travel protocols: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html.
We will continue to provide updates to our school community as we receive information from Alberta Health Services.