Media coverage is saturated with news about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The risk to the Connect Charter School community remains low and the purpose of this email is to provide an update regarding how our school administrative team is monitoring the situation day to day and the actions we are taking.
As always, the health and safety of our school community is our top priority. We are receiving regular updates from Alberta Health Services and monitoring information from the Alberta government, the Canadian government, and the World Health Organization regarding the status of the COVID-19 outbreak. Connect Charter School is working directly with, and taking all direction from, Alberta Health Services (AHS). If you have further medical questions, please call Health Link at 811. School staff are unable to answer medical questions. Connect Charter School will continue to respond and act in accordance with recommendations from AHS. We recognize that we are in uncharted territory as the impacts of COVID-19 are constantly unfolding. We understand our community needs confidence in the actions we are taking to protect all students, staff, and community members. We expect that our school community will stay informed via the Alberta government website, as it is regularly updated with best practices. https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx#p22780s6
- For the past 6 weeks, Connect Charter School staff has increased regular decontaminating protocols throughout the school, especially in high touch areas (door handles, light switches, desktops, washrooms).
- Today our admin team has been conducting grade level meetings with students to convey the current information we have received from AHS, to address student concerns, and to reinforce proper handwashing techniques.
- Connect Charter School has the necessary soap, cleaning, and sanitizing products.
- Based on today’s directive from AHS, we have cancelled the grade 4 trip scheduled for April 15-17 and the grade 5 and 7 Fort Steele trips scheduled for April 30-May 12. Grades 4, 5, and 7 parents have been informed of this decision. Other spring trips and gatherings are being assessed with AHS and we will follow their direction and promptly communicate any updates with our school community.
- Also based on today’s directive from AHS to avoid increased traffic in the school, we will be conducting our student-led conferences remotely. Parents will be provided access to student projects and activities related to term 2 learning. Teachers will be available online for brief consultations as needed during the regularly scheduled student-led conference hours. More information on this process will follow.
With Spring Break imminent (March 23 – April 5, 2020 inclusive) we encourage everyone to stay well connected to the Government of Canada travel advisory website (https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices). To be prepared in the event of an unexpected school closure, self-isolation, or quarantine, students will be provided with materials and resources needed to work and learn from home before leaving for Spring Break. Further information will be clearly articulated to our school community in the days to come. Academic and essential service continuity is a priority for us. Our administrative team is developing academic continuity planning to ensure uninterrupted operations and learning by students, and the details of this planning will be shared more broadly in the coming week. Our commitment to our community is to be prepared for a potential school closure but please know at this time we believe the risk of that is relatively low.
There will be ongoing communication regarding COVID-19 and our response to changing conditions. We respectfully ask that parents read all communication from Connect Charter School, regarding COVID-19 in a timely manner, in particular before returning to school from Spring Break.
Please see our website (https://www.connectcharter.ca/2020/03/12/covid-19-information-for-parents/) for COVID-19 Information for Parents. Thank you for your support.